The Dusty Shed is a charitable entity which was set up primarily to promote health and wellbeing by reducing loneliness and isolation. We provide a facility where our members can meet in a friendly environment and participate, if they wish to, in woodworking or other practical tasks. Our emphasis is on, but not limited to, helping older men and women.
We do not reject any person on the basis of their race, religion, gender, disability or age, however out of necessity, we must apply certain restrictions due to the nature of work we do, the size of our premises, and the age and health condition of our own members who also act as volunteers when helping new members. This is reflected in our eligibility criteria.
The applicant must:
1. be over 18 years of age.
2. be able to communicate and understand instructions.
3. understand potential dangers when operating hand tools, power tools and woodworking machinery.
4. be always mindful of their own safety and the safety of others in the Shed.
5. agree to observe and comply with Dusty Shed’s constitution, rules and conventions.
Finally, we regret we are unable to consider applications on behalf of anyone who is considered to be a vulnerable adult, because none of us have had training or vetting to deal with such persons. Likewise, we are unable to help any applicant who cannot attend our workshop entirely on their own, unaided by a carer or caseworker.
Our members are unpaid volunteers who, although they are always willing to help new members, have joined the Shed to help cope with their own issues, and we need to protect them from the stress of working with anyone who cannot meet these requirements.
- Applicants must contact the Dusty Shed by email or phone call to arrange a visit, preferably on a Friday. Arriving without a prearranged appointment might cause problems for you and for us, because we need to ensure that an appropriate volunteer is present to receive the applicant. You will be shown around and introduced to other members, and you will have a chance to have a friendly chat with our members over a cup of tea or coffee.
- If you wish to apply for membership, you will be asked to fill in a membership form. Your application will then be considered by the membership secretary and the Dusty Shed Committee. This could take up to two weeks.
- If your application is successful, you will be offered a trial membership enabling you to visit the Dusty Shed on three further occasions, where you can make use of the workshop facility under supervision. This will enable you to familiarise yourself with the place, our people and the type of work we do. You will be assisted in matters of skills and safety.
- Based on feedback from our members, our Shed Committee will make a recommendation on your membership application to our membership secretary. The decision of the committee is final.
- On becoming a member, you will be given a welcome pack, and you will be added to our WhatsApp group, which is the method we mostly rely on to keep members informed of the latest news and important announcements.